“The REAL payoff between DIY, cheap design and hiring an expert”
Letʼs rename this headline… the REAL pay-off between building your own car from scratch (with little or no mechanical knowledge), buying a second hand car from a dodgy car yard or purchasing a new car from a genuine car dealer and getting all the information you need included in the glove box.
You can probably see where I am going here with the car analogy! While some may say buying a car straight off the show room floor is a waste of money, we all know that you have a better degree of certainty that the car will be in full working order, without any hidden surprises. This is much like design- if you pay for an expert, you avoid nasty surprises in the long run. Plus, unlike a car losing value as soon as you drive it out of the dealership, tailor designs by a designer will continue to increase your visual identity and foundations of your brand.
Most start-ups find themselves in a position where they tackle every aspect of the business at once, spreading themselves very thin. It is rare that one person possesses all of the skills necessary to achieve everything that is needed, which means you will likely have to learn skills (which require precious time and money) that you may only use in the first 6 months. Don’t worry – I did this with my accounts and with hindsight, I should’ve gotten a book keeper from the start!
From experience, I have learned that it makes more sense to spend a fraction of your time and money by outsourcing and investing it into a business that can take care of a few of the tasks for you! Outsourcing to an expert designer frees you up to deal with pressing matters such as marketing to help you get the clients through the door and will save you from burning out!
So what are the proʼs and conʼs of DIY, cheap design and hiring an expert?
Let’s explore this further:
- Not looking professional
- You have to learn new skills that you probably won’t use again
- Grey hairs, sleepless nights
- Takes a lot longer than you expected (how much is your time worth?)
- You can’t get it to look right
- Save money
- Constant back and forth because they don’t ‘get’ your business
- Frustration with trying to communicate your needs (possible language barrier)
- Not provided with information that is relevant to the design (e.g. Brand – not given brand guidelines)
- Don’t have all of the necessary files and file types you need
- Not aligned with you
- Similar to the competition
- Not the quality you expected
- Quick output
Hiring an expert
- Save you time
- Save you money long term
- Provide you with correct files
- Will educate you on how to get the best out of your designs
- Take the time to ‘get’ you and your business
- Will work collaboratively with you and let you know if something isn’t working
- Adheres to intellectual property and copyright legislation
- Will research your industry before work begins
Where are these magicians hiding?
Finding the right designer for your needs can be challenging and somewhat time consuming. However, spending this time to find the perfect designer that gets you and your business will save you so much in the long term!
A few things you can do to find the right designer for your needs is to ask them questions. Find out what they know, how they work and what their process is, research them a little and check out their website and social media platform pages. This will give you a good idea on what sort of designer and person they are and if they will be a good match for you.
Some designers prefer not to talk directly to the client and will take you on a journey of forms and email conversations. This for example will not be a good match if you would like a more personable service and what to talk to your designer over the phone, via video or in person.
Takeaway: Do your research! Cheap may seem very tempting but is it worth the frustration of possibly having to start again?
If you have any questions regarding this blog post please ask away using my contact form.
If you’d like a chat to see how we can work together please schedule a complimentary discovery call here.
Please note: I take on a limited amount of clients each month to ensure provide the best possible service. I’m currently taking bookings for November – Limit of 3. If you’d like to get your brand sorted once and for all before the New Year, don’t waste any time and book a call!